3 BOOKS YOU SHOULD READ FOR AN EARLY SUMMER VIBE

Friday, June 24, 2016


I don't know about you guys but it kinda feels like summer doesn't want to come!
I'm spending the holidays in Sicily, with my family, and let's be honest here, it's not summery at all!
Today is raining and yes, I do love me some rain but after a freaking cold winter it's about time to run into the sun, isn't it?

I've been hiding in the terrace, with my laptop and books all over the place, so that's where the idea of this post came from!
I love books, I love reading and to a dip in the pool I prefer a full immersion into other words and I bet a lot of you who are reading this, also love a good book, so here you go, three books you should start reading if you're getting ready for summer or even if your toes are already covered in sand, go get these books, you'll thank me later!

#1. LOLA & THE BOY NEXT DOOR

by Stephanie Perkins

__________________________________________________________________

Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion... she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit — more sparkly, more fun, more wild — the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.


When Cricket — a gifted inventor — steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.
____________________________________________________
Stephanie Perkins is one of a kind. The stories she writes are cute, intelligent, heartwarming and intriguing. I fell in love with St. Claire and Anna from the very beginning of "ANNA & THE FRENCH KISS" (which I also absolutely recommends!) and I loved Lola and Cricket just as much. The reason why I put this specific book on the list (and not the first one or the third "ISLA & THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER") is because those books are set in school, so during the fall time, and this one is not. Also, is set in San Francisco which is one of my favorite cities in the world.
Plus, Lola is so different from any female character I've read about. And Cricket, oh Cricket. Also, there are a lot of things that will make you think (gay parents and all that jazz), it's funny, very cute and controversial. You are going to love it. Pinky swear.

#2. SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE

by Morgan Matson

_______________________________________________________________

It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.


On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Um... 

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she’ll find?

Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?
__________________________________________________ 
This book is just so great you won't be able to put it down once you start it. Seriously! It's about friendship (okay, there's a bit of romance too) and self-discovery and it's about second chances and taking risks. This book will make you want to live your life to the fullest, even for a little bit, even for the summer. I absolutely loved it and adored the way it was written and the list part? That was so cool! There are a lot of playlists in it too and you will want to download those songs and hit the road, maybe bringing a friend or two.


#3. EAT,PRAY,LOVE

by Elizabeth Gilbert
____________________________________________________________

In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want--husband, country home, successful career--but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence.
________________________________________________
Now, let me explain myself. This is not a book I picked up because it's summery and lovely and will make your time sunbathing a lot better. Because it won't. It will make you mad and angry and there are only two ways you can feel about this book: you love it or hate it. Take it or leave it. It's your choice. Will it make you want to roll your eyes at the main character? Sure. Will it make you want to strangle her? At times, probably. Will it make you want to start living your life without thinking about other people and just let loose and take life by the horns and ride it until you're satisfied? Absolutely. See, the main character is in her thirties, and just then she realizes that everything in her life is just a list of negative things, and a whole bunch of "what if's..." and that is not how you want your life to be. It's not how our lives should be. So let's make the best of it, while we can, without thinking too much and living the moment. Right here. Right now. It's our life, let's make it the best one possible.


I know, I know, quite a clichè list, but trust me, it won't disappoint you.
And yes, I know, these books have been around for a while now but I wanted to keep the new releases for me until I get the time to dive into them and then, just then, I will be posting about them (I can't wait to read " THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING" by Morgan Matson).
But since we're here, I want to know what's in your book-list for this summer and what books are you excited to read? I have so many my brain can't even function!







                                                                       

                                                          

2 comments

  1. Great selection!

    http://www.bonaupetite.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Stay tuned for more!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Marquis Road. Design by Fearne.