WHAT IS IT LIKE TO WRITE IN A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE

July 27, 2016


As some of you may know, I'm writing a book. Now, it's not something I came up with overnight, but as I love books and tend to start a new one every two days or so, I was kinda drawn to this world of writing and publishing.

Every day is a new adventure and for someone who never tried so hard writing a whole book, I'm doing okay, I guess, but obstacles never cease to distract me from my final goal.
Writing a book is a lot of hard work, as it is having a blog: you have to write write write until your fingers hurt and then you have to read read read until your story (the same one you thought was the next bestseller) looks like crap and then you edit edit edit until you are finally satisfied. Easy, you'd say. But try doing it in a language that is not yours, a language you don't know every single word of, then come back and keep telling me how easy it is. I'll tell you what: it's not.
Starting with the fact that you have to write (and that alone requires a lot of imagination and strong ideas if you want it to work) in a language that is very different from the one you were born with it's already a huge deal, and if you don't feel confident and pretty much sure that what you are writing doesn't break any grammar rule, then don't. I do it because I love English, I always have.
I was around seven years old when my very first English teacher came into my class with this stash of books with weird names on top and kids holding hands, I felt super excited. I kept studying English for fifteen or even more years and finally graduated in Foreign Languages (yes, in Italy it is a thing) so now I can fluently speak four languages, but English remains my one true love.

It was natural to me writing in a foreign language and as I started blogging I decided that I didn't want to do it in Italian. I started writing in English and every day was a new challenge for me because as much as I know the language, it's obvious that sometimes I do make mistakes. But if you don't start somewhere, you will never reach your goal. Since the very beginning of my blogging journey I felt like people would tell I was Italian, but now it's kinda easy for me to reach out to people in a different language and quite honestly, I hardly believe they could tell I'm not English.

As I was saying before, I'm writing a book, and I'm doing in English. It's not easy and it's very different from blogging: you have to think about dialogues, body gestures, whole plots, you have to describe things and let me tell you, it's really really hard, even for me. But I'm doing it. I've decided that I want to push myself to the limit and see what's beyond the surface; I want to be proud of me and the hard work I'm doing; I want to push other people to start writing in a different language, whether you start with a word, but that word will become two and then a sentence is formed and soon you'll be able to write a whole page and be proud of how far you've come.

Hard days are waiting for me but I will do it, and if I can, you can too.

If you want some advice about writing in a different language than your own or you really want to start learning some other language, let me know and I will be happy to write a post about it!

7e4b70b3de11a417138838877f1f5f05f029abac5d10e60e5c

2 comments

  1. Ahh that's amazing! I have so much admiration for those who can take a foreign language and learn it like their own, it must be amazing to be able to use both equally :D I'd love to read this book of yours! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is amazing to be able to speak a language that is not your own. It has been hard, honestly, learning three languages at the same time, it was confusing as hell! When I had my exams I had to speak in spanish so I started with it and without even noticing I was talking in french, people laughed, I didn't. But now, as I'm a bit older and had the time to experiment with Spanish, French and of course English, I feel more confident and sometimes I kid you not, I forget some words in italian but I know them in other languages! hahaha! If you want to do something you can, you just have to start somewhere and focus on what you're doing! The book is slowly taking form, very very slowly but I hope this upcoming Autumn will give the inspiration I need!
      P.S. Your blog is really really cute!
      Marylou

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Marquis Road. Design by FCD.