WHY I DECIDED TO START A BLOG AND WHY YOU SHOULD TOO

May 22, 2017

Since starting blogging (years ago!) I knew it was something I truly enjoy doing. I liked the idea of coming back home from a very stressful day at school and being able to spend that hour writing about the things I loved and wanted to share with an audience. Although I didn't have a huge following (I still don't) I thought it was important for me to just write my heart out, even if there was no one reading what I had to say, I did it for me, I'm still doing it for me.

Over the years, blogging has become something so massive that people are actually starting blogging to earn money and not for the sake of it. When I first started, there was no way you could make money blogging, so that is not why I started; I had an opinion, whether is was about my stressful day at school or that book I read, I felt the need to share it, I needed my voice to be out there.

Today, if someone starts blogging it's mainly because that person wants to make "easy money" but they don't know that in order to write about something, first of all, you have to feel the need to share it which goes beyond the money making.

I've been blogging for almost eight years (although under different blog names) and I still don't make money out of it. This means that I do it because it's fun, because it's something I enjoy, because it makes me rich in ways money don't. With that, I'm not saying that whoever is blogging now, is doing it for the money, because I know awesome bloggers who actually are the biggest inspiration when it comes to my journey in this field and they do make money thanks to their blog. And that's fair. I'd do that. In all honesty, I'm thinking about making money from my blog but I came here for the fun of it and staying for that same reason.

Today blogging is important. Having a presence online is the step you need to land your dream job or to take those chances you've never imagined.
If I had to give one single career advice to someone, that would definitely be START A BLOG!
Now, let me tell you why.


ONLINE PRESENCE
I have said it before and won't stop repeating. Having a blog assures you an online presence which makes people aware of the fact that you exist. Let's say you want that job in Publishing, yeah, that degree is important and whatever but you know what happens as soon as you walk out the door after your job interview? They google your name. That's right! And who do you think will get the job? The one with a degree or the one with an already existing following? You answer yourself.

LEARN NEW SKILLS
Whoever tells you they tried messing up with some codes and always got it right is a big fat liar. Nobody knows stuff at first try. You need to make mistakes and learn from them. I did it. I can't even count the times in which I tried playing with my blog layout to end up messing the whole thing up. But you know what? Yes, I've messed up big time but every mistake taught me something, every HTML code with red writing on it taught me that maybe I should have left that layout be or maybe I should have made more mistakes in order to get it right. And I did it. Today I know where to look for when I need to change something on my blog and I know how to schedule my posts and tweets (although I'm still not very good at it, but there's still time)
Blogging teaches you a lot and every day it's a new skill in your pocket. Take and bring home.

BUILD A FOLLOWING
This goes hand in hand with having an online presence: if you don't have that, you can't build a following. Let's say you've finally decided to start a blog, the next step you want to do is create a profile online. Long gone is the era of MySpace and MSN. Even Facebook is now "old" and you can actually tell! There are more parents and grandparents signing up trying to connect with long lost cousins from Australia (hi, mum!) than teenagers and millennials sharing their infinite roll of pictures. Twitter is your friend. The first time I signed up I had no idea of what I was doing. I only knew the boys from One Direction were on that so I said, why not? I didn't even know how to use it, but I had t and although the first few followers were all One Direction fans making very vivid comments about what they would have done to Harry Styles, I had them and that was enough. Over the years I started falling out of love with the band so I deleted the account to start a new one, more professional and focused on me and my writing. I don't have a huge following but I adore every single person who tweets me and engages with me (Lucy, Alex, Bianca, you're the best!). To build a following means being part of a community of like-minded people and that brings you humans who inspire you and friends. And we all need friends, don't we?

BETTER YOUR WRITING SKILLS
I am a writer. Now, you may think "how pretentious of you!" but listen: I write every single day, whether it's poetry, blog post, a chapter for my book. I write. Therefore I'm a writer. And writers need experience and chances to get better at the art they are pursuing. Writing is hard. I've learned it in elementary school when teachers always asked us to write what we did during summer and that is totally normal but for someone who wasn't used to do something special, that essay was the hardest thing of the entire school year. I knew mine was destined to be boring and pretty much very similar to everybody else's so I started making things up.
Year after year, my papers ended up being the coolest ones and my classmates were so jealous of my adventures they wanted to spend the summers with me. If they only knew!
But my point is, I had no idea of what to write until I did it once and did it again, making my childhood summers something that looked like out of a Jonathan Swift's book and I loved it. But II had five summers to practice that skill that made me think clearly about what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
Blogging is no different. Whether you want to become a writer or you just enjoy this craft, practising every day will benefit you and your blog and your following. 
Write, write, write!

HELP OTHERS
Based on what your blog is all about, you can actually help people. If you like sharing advice on blogging (thank you, Helene! You are my lighthouse when it comes to blogging!) on writing, or you like travelling and want to share your experience with people, you are, in fact, helping them.
I spend hours every day learning new stuff from other bloggers and I'm so grateful there's someone out there who could teach me how to play the guitar if I want to, or that could recommend a fantastic book to read (Cait, you're my go to, you awesome piece of chocolate cake!)
Write for you but write for others. It's a win-win kinda situation here.

HAVE FUN
I will never stop repeating this: if you have a blog, the first thing you want to think about is having fun. It sounds stupid, I know, and obvious, but people tend to forget that and they think about putting out content for the sake of having something out there or something they can make money from. No. First thing first, you have to actually LOVE whatever you are writing about, you have to be passioned and I assure you, people notice. If you're writing just to write and you don't believe a single word you're typing, people will know and they will feel betrayed and maybe they'll never come back. 
If you don't feel like blogging for a day, or two, a week, a month, just don't. And you don't need to apologise for it. We're humans, we need breaks from time to time, that's okay.
The key to this amazing yet very frustrating and stressful and very very rewarding blogging thing is to have fun! 



So, now that you have some sweet advice from your truly (see? Helping others!) I would love to hear from you what your experience with blogging has been and if you don't have one, would you ever consider starting one? Why? Let's chat about it!

5 comments:

  1. I write because I like to write. And I write about what I like to write about. What's the point of blogging if it isn't fun? This is so important. Too many people are all about making money and trying to get huge numbers of followers. I'm happy to know there are still some people who agree with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is exactly it! I love writing and sharing my thoughts, my works, my book reviews is something I do because I love it. I don't have anything against earning money from your blog at all! I want to be able to make money from it, one day but I will always remember why I started and what keeps me going. I'm happy with those few people who read my blog, I bloody love every single one of them! Having fun is the key to everything we do.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this post- thank you so much for including me! The world absolutely needs your voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, you are such an inspiration to me! Thank you for writing amazing and useful content! This comment has just made my day! Thank you!!!!

      Delete
  3. Great Post. Just the information I was looking for. Thanks for sharing. From the blogger at www.comofficialwebsite.com

    ReplyDelete